A couple of days ago, on my way to work, I was scrolling through my Insta feed when I saw these Nutella Doughnut bomb thingy that looked too good to be true.
I mean really, could something so simple be really this delicious?
Well, only one way to find out!
So, I reached office and before anyone else came in, I had already done most of the work. Yes, they are that simple to put together, and I bet you can impress anyone in just one go. Do definitely read the recipe and give it a try.
What is a Bomboloni?
As the name suggests, a Bomboloni is a mini stuffed dessert resembling somewhat of a bomb. Technically, these are fried stuffed doughnuts that filled to the brim with Nutella or Custard or Whipping Cream or Ganache, causing a delicious explosion in your mouth.
They have a crispy crust and a gooey, oozy centre which you know is the perfect way to describe any dessert. Do we really need more reasons to make this delicious yummy treat?
Mixing Bowls - To activate the yeast and then to combine both wet and dry ingredients
Silicone Spatula - To facilitate easy mixing. I would suggest using a silicon spatula as it is super flexible and nothing will stick to it.
Rolling Pin - To roll out the dough properly, equal thickness.
Cookie Cutter - To cut the rolled out dough into equal portions. I used a small jar lid.
Stovetop/ Induction Cooktop
Round Bottomed Frying Pan (Kadhai) - We are going to deep fry the bombolonis so a round bottomed vessel.
- Milk(lukewarm)- ¼ + 1/8 cup
- Oil- 40ml
- Sugar- 1 tbsp
- Yeast- 1 tsp
- Salt- ¼ tsp
- Vanilla- 1 tsp
- All Purpose Flour- 1 Cup
- Nutella - 1/4 Cup (for the filling)
- To activate the yeast, in a large mixing bowl, mix milk, oil, sugar and yeast. Wait for 10 minutes. You know your yeast is good if it bubbles up and becomes all frothy on the top. If nothing happens, that means the yeast is dead. We used active dry yeast, if you use instant yeast there is no need to activate it.
- In another bowl, take all purpose flour and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Mix both the wet and dry ingredients with a spatula.
- Dust your work surface with flour and start kneading the dough. Knead it for 10-12 mins.
- Take a clean bowl, brush it with oil, place your dough, cover with a cling wrap and let it rest for 1 hour or until it doubles up in size
- After the dough has doubled up in size, knock out all the air.
- Dust your work surface with flour and roll the rough, almost 1cm thickness,
- Take a 2 inch circular cookie cutter and make small portions of the dough.
- For second proofing, dust a parchment paper with some flour and let it rise for 20 minutes.
- In a round bottomed saucepan, heat oil, make sure it is not too hot, keep the flame on medium.
- Fry the bombolonis until golden brown, this should take abour 3-4 minutes.
- Roll the bombolonis in castor sugar
- Make a small hole on either side of the bomboloni and stuff it with Nutella, fill a piping bag with Nutella attached with a round nozzle.
- There is no additional step now, just go for it!