I can't tell you how long I have fantasized about making Key Lime Pie. But stupid me, I thought Oh, where will I find Key Limes in India!
Turns out...every single place! In fact the limes (& the lemons) we get in India are all Key Limes! Surprised? I sure was.
Key Limes are basically small, seedy, green color limes which become greenish yellow when ripe and yellow when over ripe. Thats the kind of limes I have grown up with in North India...just never knew about them!
What is Key Lime Pie?
Well, after you figure out the lime situation, its a pretty simple pie to make. All you need is a base and a filling, need to bake it for some time and then pop it in the fridge to set.
At the end of it, Key Lime Pie is a sweet, tangy, barely green colored dessert that has a smooth, luscious, rich mouth feel. Its also the perfect dessert if you are planning a party, because it can be planned 1-2 days in advance and kept in the refrigerator till its time to be served!
- Condensed Milk - 350 g
- Lime Juice - 150 ml
- Lime Zest - 1-2 tbsp
- Sour Cream - 90 g
- Biscuits - 100 g
1. We start with our base. We have used 2 Macadamia Nut cookies here to form our base. These cookies are quite rich so we have not added any more butter or sugar in them to form the base. However, if you use normal biscuits to form the base for this one, please add some butter to the biscuit crumbs to reach a wet sand kind of texture.
2. Crush the cookies and press the crushed mixture to the base of the pie dish firmly. This will get baked for 10 minutes at 180 degree celcius.
3. For the filling, we start with making DIY Sourcream. for that, mix fresh cream with juice of half a lime. Shake it well and let it rest for 10 mins.
4. Next we will zest 5 limes. depending upon your limes, this will give you about 1.5-2 tbsp lime zest.
5. Juice about 10-12 key limes for this pie. Total lime juice should be about 140-150 ml.
5. Mix the condensed milk, sour cream, and lime zest and lime juice till its all combined. Rest this mixture for 30 min.
6. After 30 min, the mixture will become thick and luscious, making it perfect for baking.
7. Pour this mixture into the baked pie crust and bake the whole thing again for 20 min or till you see tiny bubbles on the edges.
8. After the pie cooled down to room temperature, refrigerate till it sets. Should take about 3-4 hours but its better if you let it be overnight.
9. Garnish with some whipped cream and lime zest. Cut and serve cold.
Enjoy your key lime pie!