For the longest time I thought coffee cake was a coffee flavoured cake! I mean it isn't something outrageous to even image or anything, it's definitely what most of us would think when we heard the words Coffee Cake.
So I was most genuinely surprised to learn that Coffee Cakes are basically moist, dense cakes meant to be enjoyed along with your coffee. A lot like Tea Cakes which also don't have Tea in them.
But while I was reading about all this, suddenly I could think about nothing but a good, delicious, out of the world Coffee flavoured Cake. And that's how this recipe was formed.
We're also doing something different with this coffee cake. We are topping it with Streusel. Streusel is basically a crumb topping made but of similar ingredients as we use in the cake but pretty dry to begin with so that we get a nice crunch topping on our otherwise moist & soft cake.
For the Streusel
- 3 tbsp butter ( 40 g)
- 1/4 cup sugar ( 50 g)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (55g)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (125 g)
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
For the Batter
- 1/4 cup butter (56 g)
- 1/2 cup sugar ( 100 g)
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour (125 g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup or 90 g fresh cream + juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt.
1. We first start with making our streusel mixture. For this we combine the butter, sugar and brown sugar to cream them well.
2. Then we add the flour and coffee powder and mix all of it well till we get a crumby mixture that comes together when pressed between the fingers. Set this aside.
3. Now we start with making the cake batter. For this we first cream the butter & the sugar together.
4. Add the vanilla extract and mix again. Add the sour cream (fresh cream + lemon juice, set aside for 10 min) and mix again.
5. Add the dry ingredients - all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt.
6. Combine well to form a smooth batter. The batter will be dense & thick.
7. Now pour the batter into a lined baking tin and spread it evenly.
8. Top the unbaked batter with all the streusel we made earlier and bake all of it together for 25 minutes at 180 degree celcius.
9. That's it! The cake is ready to be devoured with your choice of hot beverage as soon as it cools down enough to be eaten!