Tiramisu literally means Cheer Me Up! It is made up of the ultimate delicious combination of the creamy Mascarpone Cheese, strong coffee and crunchy ladyfinger biscuits, sure to pick up your mood & spirits in no time!
I had been wanting to try my hands on it for a long time but non availability of eggless Ladyfingers always set me back. So I decided to make them on my own.
A couple of trials later we have the perfect recipe for ladyfingers! So it's time we dunked them in dark, sinful coffee and layered with mascarpone cheese.
For Ladyfingers -
- Milk - 30 g
- Sugar - 40 g
- Butter - 80 g
- Flour - 120 g
- Milk Powder - 2 tbsp
- Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Baking Powder - 1/4 tsp
For Filling -
- Sugar - 60 g
- Whipping Cream - 40 g
- Mascarpone Cheese - 350 g
For Assembly -
- Instant Coffee - 3 tbsp
- Hot Water - 1/2 cup
1. For the first step, we start with making the ladyfingers. For this we cream the butter and sugar together till the butter looks pale and light in texture.
2. Then we add the flour, baking soda, baking powder & the milk powder, and give it whole a mix. The mixture will be quite floury at this point and not mixed properly.
3. Add the milk to make a smooth but thick batter.
4. Pipe this batter on a lined baking sheet. These will be lined in the shape of long fingers approximately 5 inches long and 1 inch thick.
5. The ladyfingers will be baked for 15 min at 175 degree Celcius.
6. Once these are cooled, they can be kept in the airtight container for 3-4 days.
7. Next we make our filling. For this we mix the Mascarpone cheese with sugar till the sugar is completely dissolved. We are using fine castar sugar here but powdered sugar can also be used.
8. Once the mixture is homogenous, add the whipped cream and fold everything together. We have to be careful while mixing this so as to not knock out the air in the whipped cream.
9. Our filling is now ready and we move towards the assembly.
10. First of all, we will prepare hot coffee by mixing instant coffee and hot water. And pour it in a tray to let it cool.
11. Once the coffee is cooled, and we have all our 3 elements, we start to assemble. For that we dip the ladyfingers into the coffee for 2-3 secs on each side and start lining it into a springform pan. You can even use a glass dish to assemble the Tiramisu.
12. After the bottom layer is lined with coffee dipped ladyfingers, we will add a layer of the mascarpone cheese filling on top of it.
13. Same procedure will be repeated with one more time layering the ladyfinger biscuits and the mascarpone mixture again.
14. After both the layers are done, tap the dish once to even everything out and then refrigerate the whole assembly for 6 hr or even overnight.
15. The Tiramisu is generally served cold, scooped directly out of the dish or if you are making in a springform like then cut into pieces.